My Blog List

Thursday, July 29, 2010

CLASS | ....And Ink Did Keep Flowing

Weddings, six chapters and just how did I come to know so much about women?

If you've read about Tim Pears' objectives for fiction class, it'll be no surprise that the ink was poised to flow.

Today's class set us the challenge of writing about a wedding. We had to tell it from the point of view of a person who was there.

To be honest - I struggled.

As is the point of the course - fiction - I wanted to make something up and it be completely unrelated to any experience I have ever had.

I actually wanted to be a bit subversive and write the story from the point of view of the camera. But that wouldn't work according to the tutor which is fine. As I got going I was about 200 words into it before I had any idea what the hell I was describing. It was a wedding in a backyard and it began to unfold.

It was the groom talking and he was really pissed off.

So at the end of 20 minutes I had 3 A4 pages which is about right for me.

Then we had to read it to the person next to us and also listen to their story. Today I was sitting next to a Japanese lady who dresses each day in very regal looking Japanese traditional garments.

The next task was to continue the story but go back and explain how the wedding came to happen from the point of view of a different person. So again I struggled 'cos to be honest I had no idea what this story was about, who the people were and where it was going.

So I switched to the bride's manicurist who explained a bit about how they (the bride and groom) met. I found out the bride is pretty loopy and the couple just doesn't seem suited. Again - 3 more A4 pages which is pretty good for not knowing what the hell is going on!

So I read it again to my writing partner and she said: "This is very good but I have question please. How do you know so much about women?"

If only I knew....

No comments:

Post a Comment