My Blog List

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CAMPUS LIFE | Cafes, Computers and Food, Glorious Food

So far the typical day has been sticking to an easy routine.

The classes are not all that heavy and taxing (yet) but I am taking my time to enjoy myself as well. The routine is going pretty well.

I've been waking around 5.15am of my own accord and instead of forcing myself back to sleep, I wander down to the IT lab. It's quicker to get things done at that time and it's the most productive time of my day. Yesterday afternoon I tried a session in here while other people were here, which didn't work so well as. Some people wanted to chat with me while I was there, but conversations can be disruptive.

And I'm finding that while the blog is helpful, that cuts into the little time I am spending on the PC in the IT room. And in there we're not meant to be doing anything outside course-related material given the demand for the workstations.

But I'm a rebel, dammit!!

We have all meals in Hall. Hall. The title just makes me think of Geoff Boycott and a Yorkshire accent. Ot that Michael Palin show where he dangled his legs over a quarry talking about how "my Mumm makes tha blackest....Black Puddin'.....that I've ever seen".

In fact I thought lunch wasn't part of the bargain so I got a nice surprise on Monday when it was served. Dinner is served promptly at 7pm and we dine under the watchful gaze of all those 'Ruddigore' type pictures. Some of which are simply massive.

In the morning I head out to one of the only two cafes I can find that don't choke me with heavy, muggy air. Do a bit of reading or writing. The same goes for after lunch.

Not sure what everyone else does.

Dinner and pub conversations have been a wild mixture of childish and deep. For instance at the pub the other night, we invented a whole new genre around zombies. At lunch yesterday, a girl form Costa Rica who works for an NGO in London gave us an insiders view on the whole climate change debate. She said the international community couldn't believe how Australia just suddenly walked away from their leading role.

Yesterday I wandered into Fellows Garden (cue Yorkshire accent) and spent some time writing there.

Exeter College is really lovely to be in. Think Melbourne Uni and you pretty much have a description downloaded right there into your imagination.

The other day waiting for lunch we were pondering the pitfalls of playing cricket on the grass in the quadrangle. not sure that a tennis ball through one of the chapel's stained glass window's would go down all that well.

One way of being immortalised I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. hi Sean

    sounds awesome, great going ?? how many in the class and where are they from ?

    Make sure you find that heavy metal club I told you about, I'm sure its still going !!

    Neek's Bards and Osc send their love.

    Keep the updates coming !!

    paddy

    ReplyDelete