My Blog List

Monday, July 26, 2010

TRAVEL | Fighters Scrambling At Two-O-Clock

Flying at night is pretty boring and once I decided I couldn't sleep anymore, I tapped up the inflight map. It said we were just off the coast of India and had kissed the southern tip of Sri Lanka.

Intermitently I would check progress. Water. Water. Water. You get the idea.

More sleep.

I was keen to see what the coast would look like. Well it looked like that giant relief model to scale of the Gallipoli Peninsula at the war museum in Canberra.

And then something caught my eye. It was like a black spot but it was moving. It was really, really moving.

It was a jet fighter and it sped by at pace like nobody's business. It was alone so I figured maybe it was someone from a Bondi lifesaving club racing to join the action on Ch 10.

After we left Doha I was seated this time on the left and there was no cloud cover so the view was great, but was a little disappointed not to see desert of any kind.

So I checked the map again. Yeah - Doha x miles behind us, something in arabic, blah blah change to english, Kirkuk, Bagdahd, Ridyah, Abu Da....b....

Back-up.

Bagdahd. hey! Nobody at STA in Carlton told me I was on a tour of duty over Bagdahd! But there I was directly over it and the thought that I'd seen a jet flying the opposite way.....

So I scanned the horizon for ground to air missiles and then I remembered what Michael Caine said: "Never let them approach you from the sun".

So I had a cup of tea instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment