My Blog List

Monday, July 26, 2010

TRAVEL | Friendly Dudes Those Qatari's

Even the locals are impressed with their Thunderbird vehicles.

In fact as we slid to a stop outside the terminal I watched a young policeman appear outside a door that was obviously for security. He was pretty slim and wore a beret. He looked pretty young but for the moustache.

From about 20 meters away, he locked eye-contact with me so I held it.

And then he waved.

Waving at tourists on the airport bus must be a way of helping you relax and settle in 'cos IT WAS SO BLOODY HOT!! I saw one of those little orange men burst into flames.

Although on reflection maybe it was a secret warning about pickpockets in the terminal building.

I'd wandered to the furthest point away from the crowd but found it filled with Muslims and Arabs dressed in pure white cassock-type garments. I stood out. I didn't care so I showed it by staring purposefully at the DEPARTURES screen.

"Where the bloody hell are you?" My Lara Bingle impersonation received a big snub 'cos even in Doha they know she and Michael Clarke broke up and its just not funny anymore, ok!?

And when I turned to move there was this European dude so close to me I nearly bumped into him AND apologised. Was he danish? german? not sure but the more I think about his dodgy sunglasses...they hid something and it was loaded with intent I reckon.

I got another wave heading to my London bound plane from a crew worker. Or maybe he was signalling for help as in "Its so blooody hot give me your passport! I want out!". Maybe he wanted sunscreen. Maybe not. He was pretty covered up pretty well.

But not as well covered as the Phillipino guest worker who was double-booked as a refueller and crewman. This shape suddenly appeared on the staircase next to my window. The figure was wrapped up tighter than a burns unit victim and the sleeve of his fire-suit was tatooed with "I Luv Phillipines".

Well who wouldn't ....at least in the Phillipines it is not STINKING HOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment