My Blog List

Thursday, July 29, 2010

CLASS | An International Mix (Part II)

Numbers-wise I haven't got an exact one but ....

....given that the creative writers can fill an entire long table in Hall....

Actually I'll have to count the chairs this morning at brekkie. Off the top of my head - perhaps around 50?

Everyone appears to be attending the daily lectures and the workshops are about 12 in size.

There's also an English Language course running for teachers and they are from everywhere. Croatia, Peru, Germany...

Yesterday at brekkie I met a guy from New York who married a Turkish girl and has been living and teaching English in Istanbul for 10 years. Which is kinda funny 'cos in the creative writing (and for the past 3 mornings he's wandered in to join me in the computer lab before brekkie) is also a guy from New York who has been living and teaching English in Istanbul for sometime.

But they don't know each other...

The occupations vary a lot. There's a guy here in the creative writing course who works for NATO in Belgium. NATO. Now there's a word you don't hear anymore!

With subversive M*A*S*H-type of sense of humour, it's easy to picture him tramping into high-level NATO meetings in a red-dressing gown and groucho-marx specs.

"Sorry I'm late everyone, but the tank stopped with a jerk....and I got off...."

(cue canned audience laughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment