My Blog List

Thursday, August 19, 2010

ACTIVITIES | Natural History Museaum - Wow

If you tire easily of Ben Stiller's 'Night At The Museum', flick on the 'net and get an eyeful of Oxford's Pitt Rivers Natural History Museum - it rocks.

I was on my way to spend my £10 bounty on a Malcolm Pryce novel written on a banana boat when I crossed paths with two of my colleagues on the way to the Pitt Rivers Natural History Museum.

Lucky for me they talked me into going to this FREE! (our favourite word) attraction.

I was kinda blown away.

The architecture was of the like you just don't see anywhere given the period it was constructed. Glass ceilings as high as any cathedral yet with a glass roof. And just to top it off....a dinosaur skeleton reaching upwards to the ceiling.

And down the back...a forest of glass cabinets housing every type of trinket you care to name.

The cool thing is that to protect the fabric and texture of a lot of items, the lights are kept quite dim. So they give you these wind-up torches that sound like a battery-powered toy for boys. Bardyn, Oscar, Fergus and Finton would love winding those up.

Among the discoveries we made:

* A scary surprise popped out of a drawer (or so it seemed)

* We even found an Australian exhibit in the torch-light (circa 1966 - very funny....apparently)

We felt kinda sorry for Mrs Pitt.

If she had to tell Mr Pitt one more time about clearing all the guff outa the shed so a woman could just have some bloody room to move....

No comments:

Post a Comment