My Blog List

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

POSTCARD | Bath - How They Put It All Together

Rocketing at pace through the streets I chose the path less travelled so I didn't have to share it with the tourists.

My next chosen stop was The Making of Bath Museum, an exhibit in a large former home of Lady Somebody. Apparently she got married to Lord Anybody and there was a big scandal. They filled the house with a couple of Little Master Bodies but they grew up only to lose the family fortune to Somebody. They weren't related.

With two floors of items and facts but no tourists, I got to dry my feet for 20 minutes watching a video which explained how the Georgian Houses were planned, built and regulated.

I found that very interesting and also was quite taken with the movement that rose up to protest and defend the vast destruction of the very thing that defined Bath. In the 50's and 60's a lot of demolition took place that destroyed a great deal of these gorgeous buildings.

But this time it was the Brr-Itssh version of Whelan the Wrecker, not a member of the Monarchy.

Whats the go with the Poms? They love tearing stuff down every few hundred years.

No comments:

Post a Comment