My Blog List

Thursday, August 19, 2010

POST OXFORD | London - Street Savvy Leaves Authorities Speechless (Part II)

Y'know I wrote this headline in my notebook about 3 days ago and even I'm wondering whether this has legs.!

A dodged bus fare, dodgy 1st Class seat and a London Bobbie helps me dodge a bullet?

Ah yeah - the seat thing.

Well the platform to Cambridge wasn't announced until 12 minutes to go. Not that I worried - I was way ahead of the game. I followed this geezer into the carriage and sat down. Seemed odd that this train had 1st class seats but nothing on my ticket said:"2nd clarss of course".

So when the scary looking conductor examined my ticket, the scar on his face turned purple (yes - he did have a scar and if you were him you'd hate paperwork from fare evasion too).

Turns out the geezer I'd followed played a trick on me. Unbeknowns to me I'd followed him into the 1st class cabin area 'cos the doors were open. I simply didn't see the signs.

My bank account began turning pale as the penalty was read out.

Luckily for me the ticket inspector spoke so quick I had to ask him to slow down. Which meant he had to explain it all again and he kept his powder dry. During our repeated conversation, I was able to claim honest ignorance and prove it by showing him my ticket was purchased online and collected in Leeds.

Yay for me.

I mean, really surely you can move seats 5 minutes after the train leaves!?

Which is what I did. McIntyre 1 London Met 0

No comments:

Post a Comment