My Blog List

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

POSTCARD | Bath - Matthew Smith Meets Ned Kelly

The first stop on Sean Tours was the Victoria Gallery.

My strategy was to get out of the rain so a stop at a gallery made perfect sense. Just as I arrived the rain stopped and it was pretty dry for the rest of the day.

Inside was a landscape exhibition of a UK artisit who served in WW1 - Matthew Smith.

His nerves shot, he spent his time wandering France mostly painting nudes. But none of these were in his landscapes. Which kinda makes sense.

I found them quite striking in that the colours he used for the landscapes were violent and colourful. But the images were not. I was so taken I wrote down the names of 3 or 4 paintings for later reference. When I'm rich I might even buy them.

In the next room was a sculpture exhibition. The artist was a UK woman whose story I forget but the theme was of rebels, loners and horses. So I got a big surprise when I came across Ned Kelly seated in bronze on a horse.

Surveyed on the way out I had to give bonus points for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment