My Blog List

Sunday, August 1, 2010

POSTCARD | Winchester - It's All Cathedrals and Legend, Baby (Part I)

Saturday was set aside in my diary for a day trip to Winchester to see if the sword really was stuck in a stone near a cathedral.

We're a pretty independant bunch. Some went for a cycle that saw them on the road until about 7pm. Others took the train to London to soak up some art gallery action. As for the others - I have no idea.

For me and the other four that found ourselves enjoying a spacious 33 seat bus - it almost felt like a personal limo organised just for us by the College.

We decided to hit the cathedral first and it wasn't long before we were setting our own pace. Which was good. There were free tours that some helpful guides pointed out but to be honest I just like poking about on my own.

And there was plenty to poke a stick at. You can't walk a foot without some statue or memorial plaque dedicated to somebody. Don't the Poms like a good memorial? And it has to be BIG! I started to wonder how to score one to be honest. I guess it helps if you're rich and important.

Hands-up all those who knew Jane Austen lived her final years at Winchester? No? Well then like me you probably would have not known this until you found yourself leaving footprints on her face. Sorry about that Janey....

The cathedral is also BIG! I dunno if this was the precursor to Melbourne's Colonal/Telstra/Etihad Stadium/Dome/Stadium. Could have been I mean soccer was tough enough back in the day without having to play on medieval pitches. Why not do it indoors? They already sell trinkets in there so why not have a game for premiership points. Yes - it really is that BIG!

Time was a factor so after apologising again to Janey and promising - yes, I will get around to reading 'Sense and Sensibility (she's so precious) - I made a hasty exit.

I didn't see a stone with a sword in it. Must be at the other end of town maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment