My Blog List

Sunday, August 1, 2010

POSTCARD | Why So Shy, Abington?

I wasn't that bothered about doing anything or being in any group activities today so around 9am I left to get a bus somewhere. I didn't know where I was going but I figured that was the best part.

So I took the 35 to Abington and had a pleasant half-hour ride.

The bus swung around a corner into the Abington High Street and this monster loomed out of nowhere. You guessed it. It was BIG and this is the best image I can find

Ok. So Abington isn't some village with a woman vicar and zany parishioners. Looks like it'll be a good destination.

It was only about 10am and not a soul was about. I had a BIG! cup of tea, read the paper and set off for a wander up and down the high street checking things out. Found myself heading towards the Thames and spied what appeared to be Abington's claim to fame:

'ABINGTON - ENGLAND'S LONGEST INHIBITED TOWN'

Oh. Ok. So that's why no one is around....on account of shyness. Hey - I'm Australian. Come on. Lets have a game of street cricket - it'll be fine.

'ABINGTON - ENGLAND'S LONGEST INHABITED TOWN'

Oh. Ok...I read it wrong from across the street.

So along the Thames were those dinky little craft that people use as floating caravans for their holidays. I got as far as the Abington Lock and decided the walk home to Oxford after lunch. Couldn't be that hard.

Had a great lunch a great pub called something great ('cos I forgot to note the name). They tried to offer me Fosters but I stood my ground and said I'd rather spew so please recommend me something. As she poured it I busted the myth about that once and for all (not me spewing, but that Australians all drinks Fosters).

And as they brought out my cajun-char-grilled chicken with meat that fell off the bone as soon as you looked at it (yes - it really was that good!), Mark Webber embarrassed us all again with his now trade-mark 'I can't start a Grand Prix to save myself'. Good thing he was somehow in front by the time I left.

So I txt'd Gerry noting this. I'm sure the lack of reply either meant he agrees whole-heartedly or he was too busy sleeping. Hopefully both!

No comments:

Post a Comment